The core principles of Open Blues revolve around peer-based exchange; so laboratory work and explorations are lead by you, the participants. Everyone of us has something special that they are invited to share. This will give us an intense, yet social framework to perfect our dancing.
Don’t worry about your level, there will be workshops appropriate for complete novices as well as experienced dancers.
Why don’t we follow the usual workshop format and invite some star teachers and segregate dancer beginner to advanced?
The simple answer is this: There are hundreds of such events in Europe anyway and they are all very good in satisfying the need for top-down instruction (and we’ll have some star teachers at Open Blues too!). Yet, there is little horizontal and inter-community exchange outside of the social dance floor. Let’s fix this!
We will follow a format popular in academia, where participants are invited to, but don’t have to, present their ideas to the community. This is a brilliant opportunity to try yourself in a sharer’s role or have a group of engaged dancers participate in your experiment.
Whatever your passion is – it does not have to be dance-related – please bring it to Open Blues, if you think it might enrich the community. You can request a very limited time frame (e.g. 30 minutes) or a bigger workshop (e.g. 90 minutes), you can lead it on your own or with your friends, with instruments or without, you can create a space for experimentation or give a traditional class etc. A bunch of examples:
- An Introductory Class in African dance
- Introductory Class to Making 1910s Cocktails
- A Presentation of Latino Rhythms in Blues
- Explorations of Advanced Dance Somatics
- A Lesson on Cool Solo Routine
- A Lecture on Blues Scales
- Introductory Class to Shiatsu
- A Class on Preserving Knee Health in Dancing
- An Experiment in Deconstructing Blues Dancing
- A Discussion on Gender in Dance
- A Lecture on Early Blues History
- An Exploration of Clapping
- An Exploration on Connection and Role Switching for Beginners
- A Class on Funky Fishtail Variations
- Lessons in Polish Cooking
- A Class in Yoga for Beginners
- A Skillshare on Advanced Dips and Tricks
- A Guide to Making Perfect Marshmallows
If you are interested in sharing, please read on in the “Explorations” section.